From: Arroyo Seco NC Treasurer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: November 10, 2010 5:10:56 PM PST
Subject: Fwd: ASNC Application for Funds Form Submission (Wendi Riser (for Hermon Advance Team))
The following $550 community project funding request for the Hermon Holiday Tree Lighting event is being forwarded to the Hermon Local Issues Cmte for review.
Arroyo Seco Neighborhood Council, Treasurer
Department of Neighborhood Empowerment
City of Los Angeles
Ph: 323-895-MARK (6275)
Begin forwarded message:
From: "Wendi Riser (for Hermon Advance Team)" <email@example.com>
Date: November 9, 2010 11:16:15 PM PST
Subject: ASNC Application for Funds Form Submission (Wendi Riser (for Hermon Advance Team))
Reply-To: "Wendi Riser (for Hermon Advance Team)" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Organization: Hermon Annual Holiday Tree Lighting - Dec, 3
Street Address: (event location) 5718 Monterey Road
City, State, ZIP: Los Angeles, CA 90042
Website (if any): www.HermonLA.org
Contact Person: Wendi Riser (for Hermon Advance Team)
Email Address: email@example.com
Contact Person's Telephone: 213-446-1447
Amount Requested ($): 550.00
Funding Need Date (mm/dd/yy): 11/23/10
Total Project Budget if applying for event or capital project ($): $2,000 (plus installation costs)
Donations received (or expected) for this project from businesses, citizens, other gov't entities ($): The balance, less approx. $200 from ASNC in 2009
Community Project Category (select one) - examples provided denote only a sampling of the types of projects available and are not a complete list:
** Festivals – e.g. limited-duration festivals and events for the public
1. Summary of Request: In the space below, briefly describe the purpose of the request, activities to be undertaken, target population —including ethnicity, gender, income level and estimated number of individuals — geographic focus and other relevant info regarding the request.
** Hermon Local Issues/ASNC, meeting 11/13, is being asked to help sponsor this annual holiday kickoff event for the second year. It involves students from both local schools and their families, along with any other community members, who gather for a short time and watch as the City lights the large tree at Monterey and Via Marisol, then usually enjoy performances from students of both schools (musical instruments and dance). The ASNC is being asked to pay for replacement lights for the tree, some of which are being purchased by: Council District 14, the Hermon Church, and individual stakeholders in Hermon.
2. How will the community be impacted by the proposed project and how will it benefit the neighborhood? Rationale: Community projects must directly benefit ASNC communities. Concerns about who & how many individuals will benefit from such projects also need consideration. Issues of access and fairness need to be addressed (e.g. if a project is approved to plant trees on one street corner, justification should be provided as to why that street corner needs trees or clean-up versus other street corners).
** The annual tree lighting has for the past decade brought the community together to instill holiday spirit and build broader community inclusiveness. In past years, private individuals, local businesses, and one property developer have taken turns paying for the lights placed in the trees (which are now badly faded and need replacing). Lights typically last for 2-3 years before they need to be replaced.
3. How has your organization attempted to obtain donations from local businesses, citizens, and/or govŐt agencies to offset expenses for this community project?
Rationale: Community groups cannot expect all funding to be provided by ASNC but should first look for other sources, including businesses, citizens, council districts, public agencies (e.g. Cultural Affairs), and other affected neighborhood councils.
** Some food and other materials have been provided in the past by local merchants (donut shop), and by the church (hot chocolate, publicity flyers), as well as Northeast Mental Health (popcorn), and that is expected again. Council District 14 will, this year, purchase approx. $800 worth of the lights as is contracting out the installation service.
4. In what ways will the ASNC's financial support of this project be acknowledged & publicized? Examples: ASNC sponsorship mentioned in a prominent way on outreach materials, listed on the event or sponsoring group's website as a financial supporter, and listed in printed programs and display tables. (Note: The ASNC should be asked to provide appropriate text and design for advertising).
** The ASNC will be mentioned prominently on all outreach materials, on the community Website - where this event will be promoted. ASNC Board members are also encouraged to attend, and "mingle" with Hermon stakeholders.
5. If this is for a capital improvement project, specify location and permits obtained (or in-process of obtaining). Provide copies of permits and insurance with application. Rationale: Capital improvement projects should be on public property, with coordination with the appropriate city agency (i.e. Street Services, Fire, Rec & Parks, etc). Appropriate permits need to be in place, and insurance may be required depending on the nature of work that will be performed.
6. If this is for program services (ie. after-school program, graffiti removal, etc), describe the selection process used to establish participants if for select group of individuals. Provide number of participants.
Rationale: If for a select group of individuals, a fair selection process should be created to establish participants. The service program needs to be provided by a legitimate non-profit/consultant. A neighborhood council or its members should not provide these services.
7. If this is for equipment and supplies, describe specifically who will benefit and how it will be controlled. Rationale: Equipment and supplies for either public or private organizations can only be used for the benefit of the local community. Purchases intended for private and/or paid use are not allowed. Must be labeled as ASNC-purchased material and properly controlled/inventoried. Cannot be turned into private property or salvaged without prior approval by Dept of Neighborhood Empowerment (DONE).
8. If this is for an event, describe the intended audience, location and entry requirements. Rationale: Events must be open to the public. There should not be an admission charge. If the event is on private property, insurance may be needed. If the event is on city property, appropriate permission/permits from city departments may be needed (i.e. street services, LAPD, R&P, etc)
** The event is open to all and is held in front of the Hermon Community Church, on both private and public property (sidewalk), where people can see the giant cedar tree in the Monterey median being lit up for the first time, on the night of December 3. The City Council office typically checks on permits, but by keeping the overflow off the street, those haven't been required the past several years. CD14 Councilmember Huizar will once again "count down" the lighting at 6:30 p.m., after bringing greetings to the community.
9. If this is for a sign, banner or advertisement, describe the contents. Provide a copy of the artwork with the application. Note: Banners, signs and advertisements must include the Arroyo Seco Neighborhood CouncilŐs name and/or logo.
** Flyers being donated will list the ASNC as a sponsor, as will all e-mail/online outreach methods
10. Other - please provide other important information necessary to better understand your organization or the specific needs of the targeted group or community that this request will serve.
DECLARATION: By checking the box below the applicant named above declares that the information provided in this form is correct. Agree
This application requires the following supporting documents be provided to ASNC before approval can be obtained. EMAIL DOCUMENTS TO ASNCTREASURER@GMAIL.COM. Check all boxes that apply. Letter of acknowledgement & thanks from receiving agency
Date/Time: 2010-11-09 23:16:14 PST
Sender IP: 220.127.116.11 [United States] | rmdd3heshsb6jumh